This man, James Verone, robbed a bank for one dollar. Why only one dollar? Because he knew that in prison he could get the medical care he could not afford with his part time salary as a convenience store clerk. He was approved for food stamps, but they did little to help his finances. Between his back problems, carpel tunnel, and arthritis, he simply couldn’t handle the pain any longer.
On June 9th, he sent a letter to his local paper, the Gaston Gazette, that stated: “When you receive this a bank robbery will have been committed by me. this robbery is being committed by me for one dollar. I am of sound mind but not so much sound body.”
He then took a cab to the RBC Bank, and handed the teller a note asking for one dollar and medical attention. He quietly took a seat in the lobby and waited for police to arrive.
Since Verone only stole one dollar, he was only charged with larceny. His bail, which he doesn’t plan to pay is set at $2,000, reduced from the normal $100,000. He’s scheduled to see a doctor this Friday, and hopes to get foot surgery, back surgery and to have a protrusion on his check treated.
To me, this is the perfect example of how disturbingly corrupt and unjust our health care system has become under HMO’s. For this man, or any person for that matter, feels that he needs to be imprisoned just to see a doctor, is ridiculous.
This is exactly what I hate about America. Why is it that you can buy an entire house with money you don’t have, but still can’t apply for health care if you don’t meet the requirements? That’s messed up.
This is what sick people in America are resorting to. But BEST HEALTHCARE SYSTEM IN THE WORLD, right guys?
Wow. So sad.
“Because you’re worth it”… Makes me sick..
this really made my heart sink.
I didn’t get it at first but now I do and I feel sick.. :(
- Led Zeppelin: 4 turn ons
- The Doors: 2 places you'd like to visit
- Pink Floyd: What are some things that make you sad?
- The Rolling Stones: What's better, a fling/one night stand or serious relationship?
- Jimi Hendrix: Name 8 things that make you happy
- The Runaways: Would you say you are self confident?
- Metallica: Do you have any special talents?
- The Ramones: Do you have any pets?
- Simon and Garfunkel: What song(s) help you get through the day?
- The Beatles: Are you a flirt?
- The Mamas and The Papas: Define yourself in 5 words
- Blondie: Are you a virgin?
- Nirvana: Are you an artistic/creative person?
- David Bowie: Are you a follower or a leader?
- Red Hot Chili Peppers: Have you been to any concerts? Which ones?
- Iron Maiden: Would you say you have a "sexy" figure?
- Guns N Roses: Do you do drugs?
- Motörhead: Are you a totally badass motherfucker?
- Pat Benatar: Ever been in love?
- The Who: 2 of your favorite foods and 2 of the foods you hate
- Pantera: Did you ever get into a fist fight?
- The Moody Blues: What's your favorite genre of music?
- Journey: What's your favorite band?
- Genesis: Do you genuinely care about others, even strangers?
- AC/DC: Name 7 things people do that piss you off
- Paul Anka: Are you a romantic person?
- The Kinks: 3 of your favorite blogs
- Suzi Quatro: What do you look like right now?
- Motley Crue: What are your favorite brands? (Define your sense of style)
- Neil Young: Do you play any instruments?
- Rainbow: What's better, day or night?
- Joan Jett: Sexual orientation?
- The Misfits: Do you have any tattoos or piercings?
- Janis Joplin: In your opinion, what was the greatest time or era for music?
- Deep Purple: 3 of your greatest fears
- The Tragically Hip: 6 things you want to accomplish
- Aerosmith: Favorite celebrity? Least favorite?
- Johnny Cash: Are you a religious person?
- The White Stripes: Are you close with your family?
- Madonna: Describe your crush